Monday, June 8, 2009

Secrets of Existence

This summer I have decided to read. A lot. At first I wasn’t sure why I made this decision. To better myself by reading great works of literature? Maybe. To keep myself entertained while school is out, since there are no new shows on TV? Well yes. But I realized the real reason while I was reading Vonnegut’s Palm Sunday.


“Meditation is holy to me, for I believe that all the secrets of existence and nonexistence are somewhere in our heads—or in other people’s heads.

“And I believe that reading and writing are the most nourishing forms of meditation anyone has so far found.

“By reading the writings of the most interesting minds in history, we meditate with our own minds and theirs as well.

“This to me is a miracle.” --Kurt Vonnegut, Palm Sunday

Exactly.


So, recently I have acquired the habit of earmarking pages when I come upon a line or a section of a book that I find ... interesting, profound, shocking, ridiculous, hilarious... you get the idea. I was thinking that rather than just earmarking pages, and possibly never looking at them again, that I would go ahead and write down the excerpts that I find most interesting here. So we’ll see how long this lasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment